Clarissa Goes to Indonesia

On July 28, 2006 I will head to the other side of the world...literally. Here's a peek at what I'm doing over there.

5.27.2007

The End

This is it, my last entry from Indonesia! Can you believe it? Does it seem like the time has gone fast or do you feel like you haven't seen me in forever? I feel both.

Over the past couple of weeks I've experienced so many different emotions...I guess the same can be said about the last 10 months. I got nostalgic yesterday when I went to the post office one last time. I almost cried as I shook my students' hands, one-by-one, at the end of my farewell party last Wednesday. I laughed a lot in Bali with my graduating seniors last weekend. And I've kept on laughing as I hang out with friends and family. And of course, in typical Clarissa-style, I've gotten really frustrated with those who so desperately want to say goodbye even though we only met once months ago, or with Indonesia in general.

Now I'm in go mode and I just want to go. I don't want to say goodbye anymore. I don't want to pack anymore. This has been a heck of an experience and I am so grateful for it, but I'm done and ready to move on. Obama for America here I come!

Now before I go, I'll leave you with a few Indonesian fun-facts that you might not know:

Not only is McDonald's open 24 hours in Indonesia, it delivers via motorcycle 24 hours too!

In Bali there is only one high tide and one low tide per day...maybe it's that way in all of Indonesia. The Atlantic has two high tides and two low tides per day.

Indonesia is made up of roughly 17,500 islands. Only 600 of them are inhabited.

The UN defines an island as a piece of land or rock that is visible at high tide.

Because Indonesia straddles the equator each day is roughly 12 hours long, meaning every day, all year long, the sun rises around 6am and sets around 6pm, give or take about 30 minutes.

Ok I suppose that's enough for now...

...And they all lived happily ever after. The end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home